Monday, November 3, 2014

A Place Where Dreams Come True


            While I do not believe in the “sacred lands” belief that Native Americans hold, if there was a place that I had to choose that best resembles this belief it would have to be Disney World. My family and I have gone on trips there every year since I was three years old, and they had been going long before I was even around. It is a place where the worries of the outside world are silenced, and every individual that steps into the park is transformed into the quintessential child looking for fun and excitement at every turn. 
            When attempting to categorize this land, I believe it is like the first, and most common, types of sacred land Native Americans believe in. This type of land is defined as a sanctified land, where an event in some time throughout history occurred and is of profound importance. I wouldn’t necessarily say that a profound event occurred there, however the effect I feel when I do go is profound. I can go there and just be me, not having to worry about how others perceive me or how I need to be around others.
            I think a time at Disney World that is relatable to that of Americans digging up sacred lands would be when they changed one of the theatres at Disney World. When I was young Hollywood Studios (known as MGM Studios back then) had a theater where they would put on a miraculous performance of the Hunchback of Notre Dame, which is one of my favorite Disney movies. 




 However, they closed it down and some years later opened up Lights, Motors, Action in its place. I was infuriated when it first occurred, seeing my favorite show replaced with some good for nothing stunt show. These corporate officers ripped up something that had intrinsic value to me and replaced with a show they believed would boost profits. Unbelievable. 

1 comment:

  1. I remember Disney world as a kid and it was truly a magical place. I like your example of how they replaced your favorite show with a stunt show. It compares nicely with how the Native American's land were forcefully taken from them.

    ReplyDelete