Saturday, November 1, 2014

The Serenity of Plymouth

White Horse Beach, Plymouth, MA
The sound of the waves, the smell of the salt air, the feeling of the warm sand.  The view of the endless ocean and the flow of the waves seem to carry away all my worries and bring me into a place of deep calm and serenity for me. This is my most sacred place because it brings out this inner peace inside of me and because of a long family history at this place.
The beach in this picture is one that I have visited every year since my birth and is one that my family has visited for over 50 years. My family is also descendant of the first baby born on the new land after the Mayflower landed in Plymouth so this place is even more special. My family has been tied to Plymouth for many years and I feel a deep connection to the land and this beach.
Plymouth Plantation
Since my family has such a deep rooted history with Plymouth and this beach, I can relate to the Native Americans in the way that they feel towards their sacred lands. The Native Americans viewed their land as "places to which we attribute sanctity" (Deloria 275). They treasure their sacred and vow to protect it wholeheartedly. They feel upset when something or someone destroys what is most sacred to them. I can understand how the Native Americans feel when they describe how much they care for their sacred land and how much importance it has to them. Even though others may not be able to see the value, it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Just like I want my beach to be treasured, the Native Americans want their sacred land to be treasured. If people can think of their most sacred place before destroying native soil, they may be more sympathetic to the feelings of the Native Americans and learn to treasure all nature as if it were their own sacred space.

2 comments:

  1. Kate, just like yours my sacred place also relates back to my family and our traditions and family history. I think that is what makes these places really special for us. I agree when you say "Even though others may not be able to see the value, it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist". The value in things are created by us individually and not everyone share the same values but they should always be respected as you mentioned yourself. Native Americans should receive the same respect as we wish for our own sacred lands and if everyone start thinking like that maybe Native Americans wouldn't be violated of their rights as they have been through the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, That is so wonderful that your time at Plymouth can be traced all the way back to the first settlers on that land. I think your observation that "If people can think of their most sacred place before destroying native soil, they may be more sympathetic to the feelings of the Native Americans and learn to treasure all nature as if it were their own sacred space" is right on.

    ReplyDelete