Sunday, November 2, 2014

My Everlasting Place of Serenity and Sanctity

My Sacred Place

My sacred place unlike most is not one that is tangible. It is not one that can be found on a map. It is a place that can be anywhere I choose. It can be found in my past, it is in my present, and will be found in my future. It is my everlasting place of serenity and sanctity. My sacred place is being in the presence of God. At any point in time, I can be in the presence of God; whether it be in my room, church, on a train, anywhere. As can be seen in the picture above, when I am in my sacred place, I am in the hands of my creator and there is a sense of peace and safety all around me. When I am in my sacred place, I forget all my worries, whether it be school, work, friends, bills, and focus on the present moment. And in that present moment, I get joy unspeakable; it is a feeling that is indescribable. In my sacred place, I cannot be bothered or disturbed because in that present moment, it is just me and my Father; my creator; the King of kings; the Lord of lords; the Alpha and Omega; the Beginning and the End; the one and only GOD. 

You may wonder why my the presence of God is my sacred place. Why I did not choose a childhood playground or even my house. Well, in the presence of God, great and miraculous things always happen and I feel pure and complete and no one else can come in; that is what makes it so sacred. This in a way is in accordance with the  Native American view of scared lands. According to Native Americans, "The first and most familiar kind of sacred lands are places to which we [Native Americans] attribute sanctity because the location is a site where, within our [Native Americans] own history, something of great importance has taken place." (God is Red, pg. 275). However, their sacred lands are actual places that can be located on the map and those places are related to the pain and suffering of their people. These two aspects of their sacred lands differ from that of my sacred land. But it is so sad that the Western world does not respect the sacred lands of Native Americans due to their selfish gains, ignorance, and superiority complex. Truth is, everyone has a sacred place; and if someone tries to desecrate our sacred place, we would be upset. And for this very reason, the presence of God is dear to me and I would hate for it to ever be stripped away from me. That is why Americans should stop debasing the Native American sacred lands because they would be outraged if it the tables were to turn. 

 

2 comments:

  1. I really like this post as it is very unique from the others. Your sacred place is more than just a "place" it is a state of mind. This is really interesting as I never thought this deeply about it before. You're post was actually an eye opener as your sacred place is much more than just a place. It is the presence of God

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Nick, this is a very unique and interesting blog post. I kind of have a similar mindset, insofar as that you can make any place your sacred place with the right attitude. I also appreciate how she touched upon the injustice Native Americans have suffered over the years.

    ReplyDelete