Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Who Needs Meditation?


Most of the meditation we have learned about it in the Yoga Sutras, and a little in Taoism. It is hard to settle down and concentrate something as omnipresent as breathing. Breathing is a good aspect in the yoga sutras because it can help both relax and energize the body. It is hard for a person to be calm enough to bet breathing control their bodies and become as humble and peaceful as a person can get. It is hardest for a person to become attached and distracted by surrounding noises and happenings.


I also believe that meditation truly relaxes both the physical and mental person. I was surprised how beneficial I thought the meditation challenge week was for me. I also liked how the vibration of the word "OM" is released throughout the body and represents the thoughts of God traveling through the body. It's awful that I can count Professor Salazar taking one breath and "OM" in the same breath while I need to take at least two! This takes practice, determination, effort, and most of all, concentration. In my own opinion, I think that wisdom is the perfect reflection word because it is more about the way a person individually meditates and how they get the most from it in thinking about new things and viewing other perspectives. 


If I was to take anything from the meditation section, I would take the fact that it's different for each person. Some people may catch on to meditation within a few months, love every pose, and want to learn more about meditation. Others may not catch on quite as quick, may become frustrated, and maybe won't think it's for them as much as the people that catch on within a few months. There are also people who don't take the time, or put in the effort to learn and concentrate on their meditation, therefore do not appreciate or benefit from practicing. It is about the thoughts, detachments, awareness, and wisdom that is from practice. All people need some kind of meditation, to free from reality and relax their minds and bodies.


Alissa Doiron

No comments:

Post a Comment