Saturday, October 18, 2014

Following The Noble Eightfold Path


The Noble Eightfold Path in Buddihsm are eight different paths to end suffering and find happiness. They do not have to be followed in a sequence but rather it can be done when you realise you lack in any of the paths. The paths are: Right View, Right Intentions, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness, and Right Concentration. 


One of the most difficult path for me is the Right Speech. According to Buddihsts, the effect of speech are not as immediately as those bodily but speech can have enormous consequences either for good or bad. Some circumstances makes people bring out the worst in them and I feel the Rigjht of Speech would be a good example in this. In my case, I tend to get nervouse or annoyed but the smallest of the situations if they don't go according to my point of view or my wants and my best way of reacting to it is the use of words. In the past I have used many words that hurted close friends and I did not even realized because of the heat of the monment. Achieving success in the Right Speech is something that would take a lot of work and dedication to me once sometimes it happens and I don't even notice it. Thankfully, not one of my wrong today ended up being the cause of a more serious action but just because it has not happened this far it does not mean it will never happened. In my Ethics Across Continents class, we had the challenge of recognizing one of the Noble Eightfold Path we have been lacking and change it for a week. The Right Speech was the one i chose and because of the stressfull week I had due to school work and personal issues, most of the days I did not succeeded with following the path, but there were days that I thought to myself, I should think this through, I should not say that. Practice will lead to perfection but again, this will take a time since is something I use as a mechanism of defense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment