Saturday, November 1, 2014

The Great Outdoors

I would generalize my "sacred land" as being anywhere outdoors, particularly hiking or kayaking. I love getting away from the hustle and bustle of life. It does not matter where outdoors it is, as long as it is relatively secluded from our modern world. I have found that I enjoy doing this because being out in nature makes everything simple. There are no electronic devices to suck you in or work/school stress, its just you and the great outdoors.

Ever since I was a kid I loved being outside. Our family would go tent camping several times a year as our family vacation and my sister and I loved it. As we got older, we tended to complain about the lack of civilization involved with camping. However, at my current age I understand how great it is to truly get away.

The idea of a sacred land to me is a place that is to be respected and absorbed, similar to the view of the Native Americans. A sacred land is to be treasured. I let go of all my material belongings when I am either hiking or fishing because it does not matter. My sacred land is sacred to me because it takes away the future and leaves me at the present.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this blog, as it has a nice ambiance of serenity. The peacefulness the outdoors brings to many people was something i hoped would be touched upon in one of the blog posts, and Bonnie delivered. I feel many people should do what Bonnie does when she goes to the outdoors, mainly remove all electronic devices that suck you into school, work, and social media. I also believe that attaining a sense of peace is also much easier once we remove these distractions that causes copious amounts of drama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same exact experience with the outdoors, I know exactly how you feel being a kayak-er and fisherman myself. I agree with Spencer in that removing electronics can enhance your experience not only while outside but in anyone's sacred place because then you are truly able to enjoy it without distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked how you talked about how nature gets you away from the modern world. Now days people are so wrapped up in their cell phones and jobs that they rarely take time out to do fun outdoor activities and get away from the "hustle and bustle" as you said. It seems like a lot of kids now would prefer to stay inside and play on the computer or play xbox rather than go out and appreciate the beauty of nature and its sad. Nature is a one of a kind thing and everyone has their own sense of it. In nature there are never ending possibilities and you never know what you may see when your out in the middle of no where. I thought you did a really good job separating the modern day world from a sacred secluded nature area and used the two to compare the busy and relaxed aspects of life.

    ReplyDelete