Wednesday, November 27, 2013

There are many aspects of my daily life that give it meaning, but the greatest of them must be my family and friends. I stay in touch as best as possible with my friends (and of course keep in touch with family). My life is given more meaning by helping others and making them happier, whether they be the friends and family I hold close or just helping a stranger I will probably never see again. I haven’t been taught this by a religion (my parents did not raise me religiously), but I believe strongly in the concept of Karma, a theory focused on by the Buddhist religion which states that your actions, positive or negative, will eventually come back to you. My career aspirations also give my life meaning, so my daily decisions are driven towards that aspiration, along with assisting others and enjoying the company of friends and family.


A good life is being able to live with minimal stress. Being able to live a long, healthy life where I do not have to worry about being able to pay bills on time or worry about being able to afford necessities in life, while giving my time and extra money back to the community to attempt to help others, and hopefully have them “pay it forward”.  I also feel that to live “the good life”, you must truly enjoy your career choice, as you will spend the majority of your life there. I don’t believe there is one road to the good life; I feel that everyone must do what they truly enjoy to enjoy their own life.  As relativism states, just because it is not the choice you would make, "... there are other equally prosperous ways of doing things, but that we just happened to settle on one of them." (Blackburn 21)


I don’t believe that there is one theory that is correct, but rather a combination of many theories and ethical concepts. Relativism, Egoism, and Kantianism all play a role, along with the theory of Karma. I feel that people should allow others to do “their own thing” and live their own life, but that should not include allowing people to act severely unethical (ex. Sacrifice or killing of other humans).  I feel that others should attempt to better themselves, without harming others by acting selfishly, as egoism states. I also agree with Kant that people should “act out of good will,” (Salazar 2) and should not feel obligated to assist anyone else, but rather should do it because it’s what they believe is right. Finally, I believe in Karma and that your actions will cause an equivalent action back on yourself in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment