Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Bringing Infinity to a Finite World

         
"It must be spaces and places that distinguish us from one another, not time nor history." Thinking about it, what Deloria from the book God is Red says makes absolute sense. We tend to attribute certain places to particular people and that space/place is what they are known for. So, that would just make time and history accessories to spaces and places. When thinking in terms of time, one tends to devalue the space around them and do things according to temporal concepts. Meaning, one is always putting great focus and emphasis on the past and the future. When thinking in space, one tends to give great value to every single inch of the place they are in. Meaning, one is always putting great emphasis on the present. With these two concepts of thinking in time and space, one is faced with the reality that thinking in time puts one in a temporary mindset while thinking in space allows one to have an eternal mindset; which to me means "the sky is the limit".
          When reading this particular section of the book, it made me think in depth about what kind of mindset I have. And after much deliberation, it dawned on me that I do have a temporal mindset. I am always focused on the past and building my future. I never think in terms of "now". My mind is always racing; always thinking of new ways to better my future. I never live in the present because my mind is so preoccupied looking at my past actions to see what I can do differently to better my future. This section challenged me to change my mindset. It challenged me to appreciate the things and people around me. It challenged me to live in the present moment
          In the modern generation, many things are done according to temporal concepts. That is why new things are always being innovated and invented that are always focused on bettering the future. However, when that future comes, whatever was invented to help is either obsolete or is an hindrance. This is what thinking in time does; it limits our mindset and makes everything finite. This is why I have come to this conclusion, 
                "think in space; it brings infinity, even to this finite world." 


    

No comments:

Post a Comment