Saturday, December 6, 2014

The role of forgiveness

The Bible has forgiveness as a prominent theme. Growing up as a Roman Catholic, forgiveness was always a topic we went through in religous class and I would here on Sundays at church.
Although hearing about forgiveness may sound like the practice is easy, the theory is really far from the reality.


My mother with my grandparents 
Being a person that doesn't change her opnions and thoughts easily and also has her pride high, forgiving was always something hard for me, admitting I was wrong, even harder.
My mother is half Italian, half Lebanese making her personality really strong and most of the times she is really stubborn and refuses to admit she is wrong. Multiple times I had a hard time connecting with her because of that. We would just get into huge fights and not give up on any side and things with time would go back to normal. My view of this changes a few years ago when my mother and my grandfather got into a huge fight. My grandfather being the Lebanese side of my mmother is also really hot headed and his proud is also really high. My mother bought him a dvd player and they got into a fight about the electronic and how he said he didn't want one and my mother bought anyways. They didn't talk for about six months until my mother finally gave in and apologized in order to have their relationship go back to normal.
After seeing the way my mother would be upset about not being able to talk to my grandfather I started to think how bad it was I felt ashamed of apologizing, I understood forgiveness is not something you should be ashamed of, on the contrary. It takes a strong person to understand their mistakes and redeem themselves about it. The fact that today I don't have a problem forviging or asking for forgiveness made me feel like a better Christian.

My mother and I 

No comments:

Post a Comment