Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Life Lessons about Opening your Mind

Through this course, I have learned so much that I didn't know before. I learned about different ethics, cultures, philosophies, and religions. There are many other things I learned through taking this course. The biggest thing that I have learned is to open my mind. There are so many cultures and ways of life in this world that secluding yourself from all of it can only hurt you. Learning about different beliefs and cultures has been exciting thus far and I have enjoyed it all.



What I have learned about myself through yoga is rewarding and mind opening. When performing yoga, I have been able to clear my mind of all outside stress that is holding me back. Since I perform yoga before I run and exercise, I enter the workout with a clear mind and a loose body. My thoughts are clear and deep. I have metaphorically opened up an endless path full of my own potential. I find myself pondering what it is I want out of life and how I can get there.





Through the Buddhism unit, I have learned more and more about recognizing myself and how my actions affect others and me. I have also learned an important message in life and that is to recognize the simple things in life. One of the four nutriments in Buddhism is the desire in us to obtain anything we want. When people create desires in life, they tend to put all their effort into obtaining their desire. Unfortunately, desires such as fame, wealth, revenge, and possessions can lead to suffering. By putting my effort into things such as maintaining strong relationships and good health, I will be more likely to live a happier life. Happiness is the most important part of life and Buddhism and helped me to understand what will make me happy.



My experience is this class has been eventful and rewarding. I have really enjoyed the format of the class. It makes me feel more comfortable expressing my ideas without judgment. There is so much to talk about that it makes for interesting, intellectual discussions. I really enjoy being able to step outside of my typical routine and sitting down to express ideas that I typically wouldn't outside of the classroom. It is a nice change of pace from my usual work as an engineering student where most of the work is through calculations and procedures. Here, there is no order. There is a more relaxed schedule and it makes me enjoy the class even more. 

Chad

No comments:

Post a Comment