Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Tying It All Together



This past semester has been an incredible journey both in the classroom and out.  I have had to address issues and answer questions that I never thought I would have to, and what I learned in the class helped me get through it all.  Through it all I did learn and observe a few themes I hope to share with the world, and these will be my takeaways from this class.  I have learned the importance of the body in relation to the mind, the power of non-attachment, and the effects of experience.





In all the ethics we have reviewed in the past semester it can not go without saying that the physical body is of great importance.  In Yoga we sought to affect the mind with movements of the body.  In Meditation both in Buddhism and the Tao we see uses of the body to achieve a spiritual state through meditation and items such as the song bowl.  In Native American circles ancient traditions such as the very physical sun dance to become closer to Grandfather.  In all of these examples the importance of the body in achieving spiritual enlightenment is paramount.  I did not truly realize this connection until this class.  It never truly dawned on me how important the body is spiritually, I had always viewed the two near separate identities but through the class I have realized I was nowhere near the truth.


Another truth that I have observed transcend all the ethics we have studied is an emphasis on non-attachment.  Non-attachment to both items and desires.  I had never realized how non-attachment can have such a positive impact on your life.  Without want and physical objects we can rid ourselves the disappointment of not having or losing, we find ourselves in a much more peaceful and happy existence.  

This class has also reinforced to me the importance of learning things first hand and putting yourself in different shoes.  Reading about the effects of a song bowl cannot come anywhere near the experience of listening to one while in meditation.  The same thing applies to vegetarianism, it is one thing to listen to the struggles of being a vegetarian in our society, it is another to try and be one.  As a take away I feel this class has taught me the power of experience, and how it truly allows us to live beyond our boundaries.
This class has allowed me to gain not only an understanding of my own world but also a deeper appreciation for the one we all live in.  It has helped show truths to me that once were hidden and they are true life lessons I will keep with me.  This class has allowed us to transcend ethical and moral boundaries to find ourselves and even travel the continents.

No comments:

Post a Comment