Thursday, December 5, 2013

Looking at Nutrition in a Whole New Light


Using Buddha’s four kinds of nutrients, edible food, sense impressions, intention and consciousness, a person is able to make rightful decisions  leading to the development of a lifestyle either filled with happiness or suffering.  Everything that we eat, think about, look at, or want all lead to the development of our wellbeing. Thinking negatively can lead to depression, eating poorly takes a toll on our health, and certain TV shows or movies can even play a role in how we act. Using Buddha’s four kinds of nutrients one is able to eliminate the negative aspects in life and while flourishing the ones that make us grow.

            The first nutrient is edible food, which states that, “what we eat or drink can bring about mental or physical suffering.” (Hanh 31) This nutrient is all about what we are ingesting into our body, whether it is good for us or a toxin. Alcohol and cigarettes are toxins to our body, as they eat away at our livers and lungs. While eating freshly grown vegetables benefits our health and make us feel more energetic. I know that in my life when I eat healthy, for example choosing to eat a salad over a burger, I feel better about myself and about my body. After eating something unhealthy I feel tired and weighed down and have no motivation to get anything done.

            The second nutrient is sense impression which has to do with our six sense organs and what we are ingesting through them. This is referring to the movies, magazines or TV shows that we watch and what effect they have on our actions. Movies or videogames with violence can lead to hateful actions, while a more motivational educational movie can lead to deeper thinking.  “We have to use the equivalent aspects of our consciousness to protect us from unwholesome sense objects that poison us.” (Hanh 33) There have been many studies that are trying to correlate harmful actions to the playing of violent video games. In my life I know that when I look at magazines about celebrities I get self conscious about how I perceive myself because they make them out to be extraordinary humans that have no flaws.  This could have a negative effect on my life, so choosing not to read those specific magazines could positively benefit my life.

            The third nutrient is intention, “the desire in us to obtain whatever it is that we want.” (Hanh 34) In Buddha’s thoughts, every action is one that is out of revenge, whether it be to relieve us from anger or hatred.  Everybody has that desire to be the best and they have to get more or be at a higher position to be happy. But it is thought that these desires for wealth or revenge are only obstacles in the way of finding happiness.  We have to learn to “enjoy the wonders of life that are always available.” (Hanh 25) I know that sometimes in my life I have thought about how great it would be to become a celebrity and have all that attention, but it also has negative effects. All the attention can go to their heads and make them angry or feel like they are above the law. Then I take a step back from my life and see that I am happy with where I am and the people that I have in my life.

            The fourth and final nutrient is consciousness which is “composed of all the seeds sown by our past actions and the past actions of our family and society.” (Hanh 36) This is all about realizing our suffering and learning from it; what we think about effects how we act. If we just take a second to think about all the joy around us it will allow us to become a happier individual. This is opposed to thinking about all the negative aspects in life. Learning to re-teach yourself how to think about different scenarios, and thinking about them all in a more positive manner. This can relate to my life in the fact that I was brought up with a certain viewpoint on many different subjects based on my parents and my area community’s views on the matters. Coming to college with many different people have widened my views and allow me to realize all that I am really thankful for and how some people are as fortunate as I was growing up.

            Buddha’s four kinds of nutrients are used to build a life filled with happiness and free from suffering. Using each of the nutrients it can lead to a happier and healthier life. Buddha’s principles also come into play to enhance good nutrients. Buddha states that there has to be suffering to acknowledge to good in life which relates to the third nutrient, where sometimes not all has to be perfect for happiness to be present. Also Buddha’s Four Noble Truths can relate to all of the nutrients. One of the Noble Truths is finding the cause to the suffering present. Using the nutrients it could be the unhealthy food you are consuming or even the television that you are watching, which are leading to the suffering in your life. Using both the combination of the four nutrients and the principles of Buddha’s teaching is possible to transform a life of suffering to one filled with happiness.



No comments:

Post a Comment