Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Four Keys to a More Fulfilling Life

Some may say that happiness and suffering are unavoidable; they are a part of life. There are four concepts that are one of the greatest influences on whether we suffer or not. These four concepts are known as the “four nutriments,” and mindful practicing of them can lead to healing instead of suffering.

The first nutriment is “edible food”. Edible food is what we physically consume; what we eat or drink (Hanh, 31)”. If we eat or drink in a way that is harmful to our body, then our body suffers, and consequently, we suffer. If we eat or drink in a way that is healthful to our body, then our body is healthy and consequently, we are happy. For example, when I was younger, I always loved Coca-Cola soda. I would always have it at parties with my friends and did not think much of it. It tasted good and that was all that mattered to me. One day, my dad put a very dirty penny into a glass of Coca-Cola and urged my siblings and I to watch. We saw the soda eat away at the penny until it was shiny and new-looking. He said, “That’s what soda does to your stomach.” Being stubborn, though, I never changed my love for that soda, and when I got into college, it got worse. The soda fountains in the dining hall allowed me to have Coca-Cola whenever I wanted, and that became every day. Eventually, drinking so much soda caught up to my health. I ended up getting a stomach ulcer. A major contributing factor to getting an ulcer is consumption of too much acid, meaning the soda. Soda, especially Coca-Cola, is very acidic, and did a number on my stomach lining and caused me tremendous pain. After taking medication, I stopped drinking soda all together and switched to water and tea. Since then, I feel healthier and have not had such extensive stomach pain. In this case, I was drinking a beverage harmful to my health, so I changed it to a healthier alternative and have been happier ever since.

The second nutriment is “sense impressions”. Our organs connected to the senses come in contact with everything in the outside world. Those sensations become ‘food’ for our being, “Our six sense organs- eyes, ears, nose, tongue, body, and mind- are in constant contact with sense objects, and these contacts become food for our consciousness” (Hanh, 32). Different things we allow ourselves to be exposed to can either make us happy or sad. The key is to avoid exposure to toxins. Toxins are what make us sad or angry, “If after reading the newspaper, hearing the news, or being in a conversation, we feel anxious or worn out, we know that we have been in contact with toxins,” (Hanh, 33). Toxins leave the mind feeling clouded, frustrated, and sad. For example, from middle school into high school, I was very actively involved in politics. I loved watching the news and reading articles, especially during election time. There were times that I would even get into fights with people over political views. After watching the news once and venting to my mother how frustrating certain political candidates were, she helped me realize something: this wasn’t me. I was not the kind of person that would get stressed about issues that don’t even concern me. It’s one thing to be informed, and it’s another thing to get angry and frustrated with it. From then on, I stopped watching the news or reading articles as often, and I no longer felt frustrated or angry. Last year, I was friends with a girl who believed differently from me politically. She asked me if I wanted to watch the presidential debate with her but I refused. I did not want politics to come between us and I knew that watching the debate would frustrate me to a point where that would have been possible. I avoided that toxin and felt great! I remained very calm, instead of stressed out over political beliefs.

My sister, Sarah and me
My brother, Rob and me
The third nutriment is “volition, intention, or will” (Hanh, 34). It is the drive to achieve our goals. We have a drive to achieve our goals because we believe that when we achieve them, we will be happy. Though we believe that working to achieve a goal is the key to happiness, it is not always the case, “We need insight that position, revenge, wealth, fame, or possessions are, more often than not, obstacles to our happiness” (Hanh, 35). Sometimes, our ambitions can blind us to the happiness that is right in front of us: the blue sky, loyal friends, a loving family. I have experienced this first-hand. When I was younger, my parents would always encourage me to exceed the academic precedents my older brother and sister left behind them. Through high school, I would try very hard (their grades were hard to beat) and more often than not, I would not beat them and was lucky if I was even with them. This really frustrated me because I wanted to “raise the bar” by the time my little brother reached my grade. It angered me to a point where I would be up until 2 or 3 in the morning to do the best on my work. I figured that if I put the time in, then the grade would reflect that. My grades rarely reflected in the way I felt I deserved. After many failed attempts, I stopped trying to “beat my siblings” and worked harder on beating myself: doing better this quarter than I did last quarter. After changing that life-style, I became much more self-assured and calm. Trying to beat my siblings grades hindered my own happiness and when I changed that, I became more content with myself.

Mom and me
My friends
The forth nutriment is “consciousness”.  Our consciousness is heavily influenced by the past actions that we, our family, and society have taken (Hanh, 36). The best way to nourish our consciousness is to practice the Four Immeasurable Minds: love, compassion, joy, and equanimity (Hanh, 36). If we expose our consciousness to the Four Immeasurable Minds instead of greed, hatred, ignorance, suspicion, and pride, then our consciousness will be much less troubled and much more at peace. I have always tried to surround myself with positive people my whole life. I have always been a positive person, but when I would talk to a very negative person, I noticed my good mood falter. I realized that I always wanted to be around people that made my mood even better than it always was. I never expected them to be happy all of the time, but I did want them to have a more positive outlook on life the way that I do. My mom has a very positive view about things, the way that I do, which is why I consider her one of my best friends. When we go shopping together, I always feel so happy afterwards because she is so positive and happy, which makes me feel even happier than before. To me, happiness is contagious.  Also, at school here, I have surrounded myself with positive people that see the best in me and have an upbeat outlook on life. These are also my best friends and surrounding myself with them through a strenuous major has kept me mentally sane and at peace. I nourish my consciousness by exposing myself to people that keep my conscious more positive.

If one were to practice the four kinds of nutriments mindfully, the way I have learned to do, then they would definitely lead a happier and more fulfilling life.

Citation:

               Nhá̂t, Hạnh. The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy & Liberation.     New York: Broadway, 1999. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment