Monday, February 11, 2013

Finding serenity in the pursuit of samadhi

Sutra 17: Samprajnata samadhi is accompanied by reasoning, reflecting, rejoicing and pure I-am-ness

"Normally the mind and body limit you, but by holding something infinite you slowly raise yourself from the finite objects that bind you and transcend them."

Samadhi is a powerful term that revolves around complete concentration and open mindedness. Achieving this state can be difficult for a student or young adult that is always thinking about due dates and assignments. In order to achieve Samadhi one must relax and enter a state of total relaxation. Once this is achieved  the mind can free itself to endless possibilities.

The feeling once achieved is like no other. I believe it came to me in a recent sun salutation I performed before a run. The motions were fluid and I had no worries in my mind. As I began, my breath took control of itself and my body seemed to have been controlling itself as well. My mind was endless with possibilities. I felt like I was running through space with no external forces. I had never felt such concentration and serenity. My mind operated on such a broader spectrum as I thought about my lifetime goals and where I wanted to go. By starting the run I felt like I was starting my journey to reach these goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment