Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Know Yoga, Know Peace

 

“2. The restraint of the modifications of the mind-stuff is yoga.”  (Book 1;Sutra 2, pg. 3)

Yoga is peace.  It is far more than the physical exercise aspect that many Americans believe it to be.  As Dr. Heather Salazar stated in her essay Why Are You Standing On My Yoga MAT?!, “The yogic path is one that unlocks our unconsciously held beliefs, awakens our deepest ethics, and helps us to live in harmony with ourselves, others and the environment.”(Salazar, 200)  With the literal meaning of yoga being ‘union’, the yogic life includes uniting one’s mind and body.  Sutra 2 in book one of The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali states, “The restraint of the modifications of the mind-stuff is yoga.”(Satchidananda, 3) I feel that this simple sutra is ultimately the basis of yoga.  I believe that once someone resolves the agitations of their mind, controls their focus, and finds a state of complete oneness they can achieve peace.
The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali explains the foundational philosophy of the yogic pathway.  This pathway includes a stepwise approach called the eight limbs of yoga.  The goal of these steps is to control the restlessness of the mind, achieve a state of complete oneness and enjoy the end result of peace.  These steps include yama (abstinences), niyama (observances), asanas (movement), pranayama (breathing), pratyahara (control of the senses), dharana (concentration), dhyana (meditation), and lastly simadhi (contemplation) (Satchidananda, 125).  Each step leads to the end goal of simadhi which many people dedicate their lives to achieving.
Throughout this class we completed challenges which included having a vegetarian diet, doing some yoga poses as well as meditating daily with the chanting of “Om”.  After participating in these activities myself, I found how truly peaceful and liberating yoga can be.  Yoga allows a person to take control of their life; mind, body and soul.  Changing my diet improved my health, practicing yoga poses enhanced my strength and physical well-being, and meditation controlled my racing thoughts and put my mind at ease.  I felt a great amount of positivity and peace just from the three simple challenges that I practiced.  I now understand why so many people devote their lives to the yogic pathway. 
I personally feel that controlling your mind is the first step in achieving happiness and peace.  I find in my own life, I have many stresses and worries that consume me.  When I cannot control these pressures I am not at peace.  I sometimes am not happy at all.  However, when I take the time to relax, control my breath and rest my mind I am a happier, calmer person.  Yogis spend their whole lives controlling their minds, removing agitation and seeing the world as it really is.  This leads me to believe that by following their path one can absolutely achieve peace. 
A person’s mind can cause them more stress and unhappiness in their life.  Once a person rids their mind of agitation, controls their focus, and finds a state of complete oneness they can achieve peace.  Yoga encompasses all of this.  The yogic philosophy includes a stepwise approach on how one can attain this goal and state of simadhi (contemplation).  Once again, as sutra 2 states, “The restraint of the modifications of the mind-stuff is yoga” (Satchidananda, 3).   Yoga is far deeper than how many people perceive it to be.  Yoga is not just exercise.  Yoga is powerful.  Yoga is peace.



References:
  • Salazar, Heather. "Why Are You Standing on My Yoga Mat?!" Yoga-- Philosophy for Everyone: Bending Mind and Body. Ed. Liz Stillwaggon Swan. 1st ed. Chichester, West Sussex: Wiley-Blackwell, 2012. 200-11. Print.
  • Satchidananda, Sri Swami. The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. Yogaville, VA: Integral Yoga Publications, 1990. Print.


No comments:

Post a Comment