Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Nature of Tao

In beginning this week's challenge, I wasn't sure where to start. Something that exemplifies Taoism, to me, would be something that is very serene. Immediately I thought of nature, in particular my own backyard. Being at school, the next best thing would behind my dorm. It's not quite the same but it's close. I remember countless times where I would sneak off to the backyard and into the woods in order to clear my head. Ever since I was kid, I have always done this. At first I just wanted to get away, but I finally felt how helpful it was. Just looking at nature, surrounded by nature, and alone, I feel at ease. There is a sense of calm that overwhelms my mind and body. It's a very powerful feeling. It's like I am able to let go of all the commotion of school and work and social life to reconnect with nature. Being surrounded by the city, cars and people, I often feel overwhelmed. So as I sit in silence and look at the leafless trees, I reflect upon my own life. I see how nature goes through its seasons just as I will in a sense. I get motivation to trek through difficult times. I think about life and feel like life slows down. It's really hard to put into words, but I guess I can say I feel Taoism in nature. When I'm upset, the first place I would go is to my backyard. I am naturally drawn to that place. I know I'm happier person sitting in the snow and surrounded by life than I would be surrounded by lights of the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment