Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Final Chapter

I have never in all my four years here at Western New England University had a class quite like Philosophy: Ethics Across Continents with Professor Salazar. It has been a unique and interesting experiences in that many professors teach and then give homework, but in this class we actually had to practice what we were learning. 
My favorite part of the whole experience was the Yoga and Meditation portion of the class. Through the section on yoga  and the yoga challenges, I began to understand that yoga is more than just trying to get a good workout. The yoga challenge really made me push myself to try to live as a yogi not just through the practice of the sun salutations but also in the way of thinking like a yogi; to try to get in touch with my inner self and with nature.
The Meditation unit really helped me a lot as well in that through meditation I could achieve a level of peacefulness that I desperately needed especially since I was going through all the stresses of a senior. I now fully understand the spiritual aspect as well as the practical aspect of meditation. Through meditation a person can achieve clarity and a level of peace that can significantly impact their life. Through putting our understanding of mediation into practice in the form of a challenge I was finally able to quiet my mind and relief some of my stresses and I found out the power of OM is great.

This class has shown me the importance of learning things first hand and to help remove some of the bias I unknowingly had. Reading about things is not the same as being able to experience them first hand. 
This class has allowed me to gain a better understanding of myself as well as a greater appreciation for the world we live in. So as I stated earlier that this class is like no other class I have ever taken before, it has truly opened up my awareness and the way learn about the world. One major thing I take away from the semester is that we should never judge others lifestyles until we have tried them for ourselves and applied it to our own lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment