Friday, May 3, 2013

There go my Wednesday nights...

Finally…the last class I need for my philosophy minor. This shouldn’t be too bad. Looking at the syllabus… are you kidding me?! I have to read this many books?! This was supposed to be my easy semester!! NO!! There go my Wednesday nights…
            Obligated to take this course to satisfy my minor requirements, I was pained into beginning the reading assignment. The first unit was Yogic Ethics. I figured I might as well pay attention to the reading, since I will be spending my “free time’” to do it anyways. I was surprised, Wow. This kind of makes sense. I found myself making notes on every other page and highlighting my favorite sutras. I connected with the readings and could apply them to my own life. I love this stuff. Yogic Ethics? Who knew? I looked forward to the readings and weekly challenges.The weekly challenges successfully incorporated Yoga into my daily routine; vegetarianism, yoga, and meditation. Doing Yoga is the class was hilarious and challenging, but I enjoyed every second. Not only were we studying the literature, we we are experiencing it as well. That’s what I loved the most. We learned what meditation does for the mind of a Yogi, but my knowledge and appreciation grew. This isn’t your typical college lecture. It was an experience, that I had the pleasure to be a part of with a group of incredible people. Bonding with the class, I developed a level of comfortability that allowed me to be vocal in discussions and enhance my learning that much more. Credit to Professor Salazar for creating an open and respectful environment where we were all able to have our own thoughts and personalities. We weren’t expected to agree with the philosophies, only understand them. I valued this the most. Everyone put in their ideas, both for and against each philosophy we dissected. A certain dynamic was created that I haven’t had the fortune to experience in any other classroom. I found a new favorite thing to do on my Wednesday nights, attend class. With the semester coming to an end, I can’t help but feel a little upset in realizing I will never be in the same class with the same group of intellectual and unique people. EVER?! My Wednesday’s became free again,but I wasn’t excited. No more seeing Ben’s facial expressions to everything and anything going on. No more class with my partner-in-crime, Samantha. No more heartfelt blogs from Rya. No more sophisticatedcomments from Matt. No more Wednesday night ethics class. So that’s it? It’s really over? NO!! There go my Wednesday nights…

No comments:

Post a Comment