Thursday, April 25, 2013

Finding My Reservation

Ever since I was a little boy, I had always spent my time outside the house. Unfortunately, growing up in the suburbs made it difficult to really enjoy all that nature had to offer. I don’t know why but my parents always kept me from going far. I always talked about traveling and going to California or hiking the Appalachian Trail or climbing Mount Everest. I have always been a dreamer. This may be why they kept me secluded because Mom and Dad were worried about my safety. I don’t know what they were hiding from me but they never let me go beyond the outskirts of the city. Since I was a boy, I have been trapped. I have been forced to evolve into the culture that surrounds me; the culture that is always worried about their jobs, their money, and making a name for themselves. These are the ideas that fill the ether that I live in. It is tiring and stressful to live in this environment. At least when I was a boy, I was carefree and didn’t have to worry about money and fame. I was just doing my own thing and enjoying life.
Since then, growing up in the society that we live in, my head has been filled with ideas about money, fame, and how these are the only things that will bring you happiness.
I have a close friend, Sean, from home that always talks about fishing, hunting, and camping. I have always evaded from doing such activities because I thought only poor people did them. I thought that in order to be happy and successful, I needed to have a lot of money and buy expensive things. These ideas in my head have been a result of growing up in modern day society. My friends were driving sports cars and taking trips to Florida while I was stuck in a 120 degree kitchen all summer. It left me feeling marginalized. It made me feel like I wasn’t fitting in. But last summer, I started to question; do I really want to fit in? Is this really the life that I want?
Last summer, Sean decided to plan a big camping trip with some of our friends from home. Most of them grew up sheltered like I have. I thought that if everyone was going, I might as well go. Little did I know I was about to have a tremendous experience that would change my life.

We drove up to Lake Luzerne in upstate New York for our long weekend away. When we finally arrived, the road leading us to the campsite was a long and rugged dirt trail. It was clear we were in the country. We made it to the campsite and began unpacking and enjoyed a few beers. It wasn’t long before we found ourselves posted up in the lawn chairs by the fire pit. As I sat there, I looked around and I smiled. I never thought I could find a more peaceful setting. The sun was peeking through the tree tops. The wind slalomed its way through the tree branches. I was surrounded by nature and all its beauty. On top of that I was enjoying this moment with some of my closest friends. We weren’t in the city any longer. We didn’t have to worry about getting to work in the morning or beating the 5:00 traffic. The only worry in my head was when the fire would go out.
We shared many good nights together telling stores, eating good food, and enjoying some beers. It was like a good old fashioned powwow! We made it out to the lake for a day where we spent the day on the boat. It was a lot of fun just being with my good friends.

I am so thankful Sean brought me out here. I feel like I have finally found my reservation and where I can be myself with all my closest friends, free of judgment. This summer, I’m going to buy my own tent and a kayak and really get out there and have some fun with my friends! I look forward to a life full of excitement and fun with the people I love.

Chad

No comments:

Post a Comment