Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Nature of Tao


Taoism in many ways embodies nature.  It simply reacts until equilibrium is reached.  For this challenge we were tasked with observing a living organism, so I chose a tree that lives behind my apartment in Southwood.  I felt that a tree perhaps is the closet living thing to the Tao.  When the wind blows the tree flutters in the wind, it does not aggressively fight it as we might, it goes with the flow, to an extent.  The tree is indifferent as far as the eye can tell.  It takes a place on the earth and does not directly fight anyone else for more resources.  The plant just is, calm and going through the motions.  It is very difficult to not observe a tree and obtain a sense of calmness, that everything is at peace, and that it what I think I took away from Taoism.

No comments:

Post a Comment