Wednesday, April 17, 2013

This Beach Holds a Piece of my Heart








Me as a child on C.K. beach


My sacred land is C.K. Beach on Westport Harbor in Massachusetts.  I have grown up spending countless days on this beach with my family and friends.  My mother walked me up and down this beach in a stroller when I was just a baby. My father taught me how to swim and ride the waves into the shore. I brought my first dog, a chocolate lab named Jake, to this beach to swim and play in the sand.  I truly have grown up at this beach, summer after summer, for all of my life. The memories that I have made here are ones that will stay with me for a lifetime. This is not just a beach. It is not just a piece of land. This place holds a piece of my heart.

Jake

I hold this beach sacred to me as the Native Americans hold their lands sacred to them.  They feel connected to their lands as I do with this beach.  Native American people feel unity with their land partly because their ancestors have experienced both good and bad things on those lands. They have special memories attached to their sacred places that they treasure.


Photo Courtesy of  Matt Carreiro
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carreiro-Photo/256962069186 









No comments:

Post a Comment