Monday, April 22, 2013

What land is sacred to me?



   
     My sacred place is general but specific at the same time. A sacred place of mine is the Great South Bay. More specifically this time or place would become sacred if I were positioned in front of a state park called Gardiner’s Park, which has a front on the Great South Bay, inside of a sailboat. This place is sacred to me because the workings of a sailboat remind me of my grandfather on my mother’s side and the other men in that family and generation. All the men in my mom’s father’s family were navy men. The sailboat is sacred because it allows me to form a connection with them. I would just feel the bravery that they had, the intellect, pride and respect they had. It will always allow me to connect to them. Being positioned in front of Gardiner’s Park is sacred to me because it reminds me of my runs I took in high school. I used to run from my house about 4 miles away and sit on the bay beach at the park. I used to bring my first dog, who is no longer alive, all the time. He was a really special dog. The kind that knew when you were sad and the kind you could never get mad at.  

    What makes a sacred place to me is the relationships you are reminded of and the memories you hold their. I am truly understanding to the sort of respect that Native Americans show to their sacred places. I also feel horrible for the offenses that the United States have committed against these sacred places. I feel as though I am a hypocrite because I have never tried to truly understand and respect Native Americans and I am probably not going to change my way of living or anything. I will individually show them respect and abide by their wishes of respect for their sacred places, but I feel horrible because my change of behavior will really make no difference in the whole of the United States. My voice won’t stop unlawful expansion, construction, and destruction of land. 

No comments:

Post a Comment