Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Missouri Bound

As the van picked us up in the early morning I couldn't help but feel a mixture of excitement and exhaustion because I knew we were in for a long trip, we were Missouri bound. There were 10 of us all together plus some chaperons split up between two vehicles, some of us friends others just getting to know one another. As we drove through New York into Pennsylvania we saw plastic Buffalo along side the highway and at first I was confused as to why they were there. Then about 10 minutes down the road I exclaimed from the backseat very excited, "I get it there were Buffalo because we were leaving Buffalo, NY." Well then the whole van erupted into fits of laughter because it turns out I was the only one who didn't understand why there were Buffalo along side the highway.
 Just reaching Pennsylvania and we were already feeling tired and quite bored, so we came up with a game to make words out of the license plates. After making tons of words and still just driving through Pennsylvania I came to a conclusion that I hate that state because it is so big and takes forever to drive through. When we finally reached Ohio we got out to stretch and kiss the floor to say thank goodness we were finally out of Pennsylvania.  We decided that there has been enough driving for one day so decided to stay the night in Ohio and begin making our way for Missouri first thing in the morning. As we began again our journey to the mid-west tired but still very much excited, so much of our scenery had changed. We went from rolling hills to such vast flat land with fewer and fewer buildings, there was just the open highway. Unfortunately as the trip kept going we were starting to become cranky and hungry so our chaperons asked what we wanted to eat. So me feeling goofy, hungry, and tired started talking about, "Taters... Taters are a multipurpose food, you got your mashed taters, tater tots, tater chips, french fried taters..." It went on and on and again the whole van was in tears laughing so when we finally stopped for food everyone got taters.
Finally after much driving, little sleep, and tons of laughs we finally made it our destination. Missouri was flat, hot, desolate, and completely beautiful and relaxing. The people were so nice, the food was great (huge portions too I might add), and the overall experience was one I will never forget. To this day those of us who went on this trip talk and reminisce about all the amazing times we had just driving. Those of us who were friends before the trip became even closer and those who were just getting to know each other became good friends. Our trip to Missouri will always be remembered and hopefully someday some of us may just return for old times sake. 
This story from my past is a reflection of Native American storytelling.  It tells of past events from my perspective and the memories that I share with others. Like the Native Americans who tell stories to bring each other closer together and to understand each other, I feel that some people may be able to connect to my story. This story has much meaning to me which is why I have chosen to share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment