Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Vegetarianism



During this semester we were challenged to go vegetarian for one week.  A challenge much harder than it sounds ( I like my bacon with a side of bacon after all).  This challenge however was a true eye opening experience for me, and taught me a lot about our world in general.  I was able to keep up with the challenge for the first few days but I did notice I was eating very unhealthy food.  I ate a lot of pasta, due to the fact I had no other vegetarian food at home.  In the campus center I discovered vegetarian options were limited as well, so I ate cheese pizza frequently as well.  Doing this I became very self conscious and very aware of what I was eating.  The only experience that could possibly relate to it was trying to avoid travelers illness in foreign countries.  After a few days my stores of vegetarian food ran out and I began eating meat again.  I had done my weekly shopping trip before class and before knowing the challenge.  I did return to the store before breaking the challenge but I was surprised to see the high cost of healthy vegetarian foods.  It became ever more obvious that we live in a society that does not support vegetarianism, both in food culture and socio-economically,  a lesson I shall soon not forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment