Wednesday, February 20, 2013

"A Great Institution Does Not Mutilate"




My first journal entry for the Taoism challenge was based on an all white cat I witnessed in my back yard.  The cat appeared to come out of nowhere.  I had just came inside from taking out the trash and there it was crossing the two feet of snow still piled high in the back of my house.  Every now and then it would gaze back at me through my back door window as if it knew I was observing from afar.  It glided over the snow as if it were wearing bedroom slippers.  It was a very powerful experience for me because I thought of a passage in the Tao Te Ching that emphasized "not only is the natural world a spirit vessel with a sacred life rhythm coming from Tao, every creature is also a vessel of Tao not to be tampered with by unholy acts of human desecration."  As humans we view ourselves at the top of the food chain and so we feel entitled to do as we please with nature regardless of the consequences, but it is our role to preserve the earth and not to dominate or destroy it.  


Victorya French-Williams  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment