Wednesday, February 27, 2013

“It is very easy to take for granted the phenomenon that we are each alive, but we must try not to.” -Alex Grey

I know that I rely on many things in my life. I do not like change. When I was told the challenge was to give something up, I seriously went through a list of things that could be the most difficult. However, when I was telling my roommate of my dilemma, he made the choice for me. He hid my baby blanket on me. The first night I was so tired that I simply passed out from over-exhaustion, but after that night it was a vigorous 2 nights without it. I tossed and turned in my sleep, unable to forget that the one thing that I have had with me every night since I was born was suddenly not present. It took me around 2 hours a night to fall asleep. However, after these first 2 nights, I was not as aware of it anymore, this might be from the over exhaustion I was experiencing, but it really was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. One night before I had gone a whole week I had found where he had hidden it, and washed it multiple times, I  realized I was more thankful for that object of comfort than ever before. If I was taught anything from this, it was that while you may be dependent on an object, it is not going to be there forever, nothing lasts forever. Therefore, nothing should be taken for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment