Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Arm Balance "Yoga Pause" from Intellectualism




After almost two hours of discussing the intellectual aspects of achieving samadhi in Book 2 of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras, the students got me into the center of our discussion circle to demonstrate a challenging arm balance called "Elephant's Trunk Pose" in which your entire body is balanced on your arms. Three brave students came to the center of the circle with me to try the pose, as well. The video attached is pretty funny (we didn't discover that Samantha had taken it until the end of the video). I must admit though I'm doing the pose in the clip, I had already demonstrated it and my arms were tired!

Astoundingly, Nina and Nikko got it, but our legs were aching pretty badly afterwards (ironically, since all our weight was on our arms) so I ushered everyone out to the academic hallway outside our college class where we laughingly enjoyed a restorative pigeon pose practice to stretch and relax.












1 comment: