Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Expansion of Consciousness: Experience over Scriptures

Sutra 49: This special truth is totally different from knowledge gained by hearing, study of scripture or inference.


Yoga is.  There is neither word nor sequence of words that can describe yoga in totality. Yoga is Life. Yoga is Divine Consciousness. Yoga is self-discipline. Yoga is within. Yoga is faith. It is a confidence that is experienced and felt. Through the lifestyle and practice, yoga brings happiness, self-realization and peace of mind. To understand Yoga is to feel the vibration of "OM", imagine the inner Light, and develop self-awareness.

No matter where you are or what time it is, “If you close your eyes and ears, sit quietly, allow the mind to be completely silent and then listen within, you will hear Him humming” (pg 42-43). This vibration can be felt, and exists in all objects. Nobody and nothing can stop that atomic vibration; it is at the core of everything. If you feel like you’ve hit bottom, that there is nothing left, that you are alone, you can feel Him. He is a part of you.
 During meditation practice, I sat in silence until I felt that inner vibration. This energy  can only be described as “… a brilliant divine light which is beyond all anxieties, fear and worry—a supreme Light in you” (Sutra 36 Book 1).  This gave me peace of mind; a realization that I am not alone. God exists within me. I am eternally protected. Being religious and attending church regularly, I had always been seeking a sign. My mind needed something to validate what my heart already confirmed. Something that let me know my faith wasn’t blind. This truth could only be obtained through its experience.
With this practice of meditation, I became knowledgeable about a truth that I would have never achieved through studying the Sutras. "We can hear things, study, form our own opinions, use our imagination, but nothing can equal experience" (Sutra 1 Book 2).  Knowledge that is learned through experience is far deeper and more meaningful than Yoga taught through word of mouth, scriptures or even logic. It’s a truth that I found within myself. And, until you experience this special truth yourself, your understanding will be limited. In order to expand your consciousness, you must experience Yoga for youself.

No comments:

Post a Comment