Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Four Nutriments That Lead to Suffering or Happiness


            In order to recognize and identify our suffering, Buddha came up with the Four Noble Truths and the twelve turnings of the wheel. Both of these learning’s help to stop us from suffering and to acknowledge that it does exist. Thich Nhat Hanh mentioned, “When something has come to be, we have to acknowledge its presence and look deeply into its nature. When we look deeply, we will discover the kinds of nutriments that have helped it come to be and that continue to feed it.” (31) When we realize our suffering we have to identify what affects our suffering and happiness. This leads us to the four kinds of nutriments that lead us to happiness or suffering, which are edible food, sense impressions, intention, and consciousness.
           
The first nutriment is edible food. As a person, we have to be able to differentiate between what is healthful and what is harmful to our body because if we don’t we could mentally or physically suffer. There needs to be ways to help save our health and well being of our spirit. The things we consume are us eating our own lungs, liver, or toxins. Our parents and elders are what teach their children to be healthy and strong. Thich Nhat Hanh states, “We need to look deeply together and discuss how to eat, what to eat, and what to resist.” (32) We need to be motivation for others to keep themselves healthy. As an athlete, I need to make sure I eat the right foods to keep my body healthy. If I don’t I could suffer from an injury that could stop me from doing what I love, or even possibly getting a life-threatening issue like heart disease. Eating and drinking healthy isn’t just the right foods or drinks but also the portions that you are giving yourself. Every day I think about what I’m eating and if it is the right thing to stop myself from suffering and make me satisfied with my health.
            The second kind of nutriment is sense impressions. The six sense organs (eyes, ears, nose, tongue, body, and mind) are always in contact with our consciousness. If we feel excited or exhausted after hearing or seeing something, we realize we have taken in some toxins. We come upon negative seeds and some positive seeds. The negative seeds are the ones of fear, anger, and violence. Based on the emotions when seeing, hearing, tasting, and touching different things, we know what to avoid or to come in contact with. Everyday we all come across sense impressions. There are times that bring joy to your life, but others that put you in misery. A year ago, I lost one of my friends to a shooting at their house over a parking dispute. The landlord shot her and her boyfriend. Hearing this news was devastating, especially for some one so young. Instead of grieving and thinking negatively, I tried day in and day out to stay positive and look at ways to help protect others, and not let it happen again. We need to work together to get out of dangerous situations.
            The third kind of nutriment is intention. The action that is put forth relates to what we think will make us happy, in reality adds to our suffering. Everything you say and do will be about reaching that goal, even when you’re sleeping your conscious is still working. Thich Nhat Hanh makes a good point that, “ We need the insight that position, revenge, wealth, fame, or possessions are, more often than not, obstacles to our happiness.” (35) Many people think that revenge, wealth, and being high up make you happy, but it’s family, things you enjoy, and being healthy that make you happy. In my life, I try avoiding attachment, so I don’t rely on things for happiness. My happiness comes from my family, being healthy, and things I enjoy doing. There are times where I work so hard for something, and think it will make me happy, but it doesn’t go as planned so suffering occurs instead. For example on exams, I work up to achieving a goal to do good on an exam. There would be times a get an exam back and become frustrated with myself because I didn’t do as well as I wish. Instead of looking at the number, I tried to think of the work ethic I put forth to have a positive outlook.
           
The fourth kind of nutriment is consciousness. Our consciousness is made up of our past actions and the past actions of the people around us. Day and night, all the time our consciousness is processing, and forming our life. Thich Nhat Hanh quotes, “Every time we ingest toxins into our consciousness, it is like stabbing our-selves with three hundred sharp knives.” (37) Every time negative thoughts enter our body, we suffer just as much as some one stabbing us multiple times. Why do we put ourselves through the torture? A problem I have is I let my families past actions affect my personality and life. I shouldn’t let it affect me as much, and use it as a life lesson. I need to cope with these actions, instead of let it bother me as individual.
            I can personally apply Buddhist principles to help enhance good nutriments. By practicing the Four Immeasurable Minds of love, compassion, joy, and equanimity we can nourish our consciousness. On a daily basis, I will watch what I eat and remove the toxins from my life. This will help me to be physically and mentally healthy and be happy with myself. To help my sense impressions, I can avoid looking at the negatives, and think about the positives and what will help my conscious. My actions will have good intentions, instead of doing something I’d regret. I’ll try to avoid suffering and come in contact with happiness. Being around my family, friends, and knowing I put in hard work will make me the happiest. Everyone can use Buddha’s principles to better their nutriments. 






Works Cited
Nhá̂t, Hạnh. The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy & Liberation : The Four Noble Truths, the Noble Eightfold Path, and Other Basic Buddhist Teachings. New York: Broadway, 1999. Print.


No comments:

Post a Comment