Sunday, December 1, 2013

How Suffering Can Lead to a Happier Life


According to Thich Nhat Hanh, author of “The Heart of Buddha’s Teaching,” making the effort to “cross over” and overcome pain and suffering can lead to a life of “safety, well-being, non-fear, and non-anger” (Hanh 192). The process of “crossing over to the other shore” is known as “paramita”, or perfect realization”. The Six Paramitas that work hand-in-hand to better oneself are (1) Dana Paramita - the act of giving, offering, and generosity (2) Shila Paramita - precepts or mindfulness trainings (3) Kshanti Paramita - inclusiveness, the capacity to receive (4) Virya Paramita – diligence, energy, perseverance (5) Dhyana Paramita – meditation (6) Pranjña Paramita – wisdom, insight, understanding (193).



JDRF Rhode Island Walk to Cure Diabetes
The first of the Six Paramitas, Dana Paramita, is the “perfection of giving” which includes “[offering] joy, happiness, and love” to those in your life (193-194). According to Hanh, “the greatest gift we can offer anyone is our true presence” (194). For the last twelve years, I have been volunteering at three different events throughout the year for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) in Rhode Island. Even though at the end of each event, I never feel like I truly made a difference in the lives of those affected by Type 1 Diabetes, I know that I helped create a fun and stress-free day for everyone to just relax and at the same time, help raise money to put to research. Just being present for those kids and families and helping them out throughout the day is enough to make some sort of difference, even if only for that day. Being able to be a part of something that gives back to those affected by Type 1 Diabetes is one factor that helps relieve any suffering or pain I might be experiencing during that time.


The fourth of the Six Paramitas, Virya Paramita, is “the perfection of diligence, energy, or continuous practice” (206). Since whenever a “seed”, negative or positive, in us is watered, it will manifest to the upper level of consciousness, it is preferred to “refrain from watering the negative seeds in us” and “recognize the positive seeds that are in us” to become much happier (206-207). Growing up, I played softball for thirteen years and spent ten of those working up to be one of the main pitchers on my team. The summer before I went off to school was definitely a time that I needed to practice suppressing the “negative seeds”. I had badly injured my knee the spring before, and I was convinced that I wouldn’t be able to play my final summer with my team I had been playing with for years. But instead of letting my injury and negative thinking keep me from returning to the team, I pushed myself to do all the necessary work to get back to my full strength and finish the season off with my friends. It took everything in me not to give up, but I knew that I would be missing out on my last chance to play with those friends ever again, and I would regret that forever. Keeping and encouraging the positive thoughts in me got me back to where I wanted to be, therefore making my life happier due to my injury healing and finally getting back to playing again.

With just following only a few of the Six Paramitas so far in my life, I can see that overcoming the suffering and pain I experience only betters me in the long run. Experience allows you to learn and move on from events, hopefully allowing you to avoid the same pain you have once suffered. My life has shown me that it is true what Hanh says, “you have to make an effort” to change from suffering to happiness, but it is definitely worth it in the end (192).

No comments:

Post a Comment