Sunday, December 8, 2013

If We Know We Are All Wrong: We Are Right!

In Buddhism, you can learn the truth and broaden your mind by implementing the Way of Right View and the Way of Right Thinking. As Buddha says, these two ideas are “a map that can help us find our way” to truth (Hanh 63). The Way of Right View allows us to understand the subjectivity of all people’s perspectives, including our own. As Hanh says, “all views are wrong views” (56). This is not as negative as it sounds. This actually allows us to deepen our respect for one another because it equalizes us. If we believe that our views are more correct than someone else’s, we are putting ourselves on a pedestal. I think this type of bias can happen more often with memory because our perceptions of the past have even more opportunity to become skewed than perceptions of the present. For example, I once thought that I my boyfriend had moved my shoes, because I did not remember moving them myself. I argued with him about it, but he really did not know where they were. When I finally found my shoes, the memory of where I had put them returned. But I thought my perception of where my shoes went was more correct than my boyfriend’s, which made me look foolish.
Also, the Way of Right View can help us be less judgmental of each other. Hanh gives a great general example of human stereotyping when he says, “When one person comes up to us, the very sight of him makes us uncomfortable. But when someone else walks by, we like her right away” (52). This often happens because we judge people based on what their outer appearances and therefore what we initially perceive. Hanh also says, “Where there is perception, there is deception” (52-53) which also plays off the idea that all human views/perceptions are wrong, as mentioned earlier. But we do not know the person beneath.
Justin Furstenfeld from Blue October
When I was about 8 or 9, I saw a man on TV wearing eyeliner, which I had never seen before. It was actually the lead singer of the band Blue October, a band which I really like now. However, at the time, I had no understanding of what this man on TV might be like, but it was not what I was used to. So, to be obnoxious, I told my brother that is what he would look like when he was older. Then, my older sister turned to me and said in a stern tone, “What is wrong with a man wearing makeup?” I realized I did not really know what was wrong with it or why I was using it as in insult. I did not know if the man was a good man or a bad man, and I certainly could not tell it by the makeup that he wore. This was another instance where my perception (or lack thereof) of something, in this case someone, made me look foolish. But I learned to become more open-minded and began my journey toward thinking before I speak.
         
   As much as Right View has to do with our perceptions and thoughts, the Way of Right Thinking specifically covers the way our thoughts can affect our actions. Hanh says, “Our mind is often thinking about one thing while our body is doing another” (59). So, contrary to my other anecdotes where I had perceptions and acted on them, we can also appear to be doing what is right but not actually believing in our actions. Buddha prompts us to ask ourselves “What are you doing” (Hanh 61). If we are not really aware of what we are doing, it means our minds are wandering and we are not giving our 100% to the moment. This is an instance where our minds and bodies are in disjunction. For example, oftentimes when I am writing papers, I find that I can get very distracted. But when I get distracted from my work, it does not make me feel better to procrastinate. In fact, it makes me more nervous when I cannot focus. In order for me to produce my best work, my mind and body have to be in sync, meaning I have to be actively thinking about the work I am doing.

            But how can we remedy our tendency to think negatively? As the example above shows, one way to do this is to live in the present and to not let our minds wander. Pay attention to what is in the present and we will find that we are more productive and happier. Additionally, Buddha suggests that we “replace an unwholesome thought with a wholesome one” (Hanh 62). This means to think positive thoughts whenever we think of negative ones. Then, hopefully, thinking positively will become a sort of habit, and negative thinking will be reduced. The Ways of both Right View and Right Thinking can eventually lead to more positive actions and words and a more positive environment. Positivity leads to happiness and happiness is the key to a successful life.




Reference:
Hanh, Thich. The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching. Berkeley, CA: Parallax Press, 1998. Print.


No comments:

Post a Comment