Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Appreciation for Life

Impermanence is the first of the Three Dharma Seals, meaning it is a core element in the teachings of Buddha. Buddhism teaches that everything is impermanent. Whether it is nature, thoughts, feelings or even inanimate objects around our house, nothing is permanent. Everything is constantly changing around us. Buddhists embrace impermanence because it is what causes society to develop. Many people may think that change makes us suffer, but does it really? Buddha used an example of a dog being hit by a stone to address this question. The dog became angry at the stone and therefore became mentally distraught. “What makes us suffer is wanting things to be permanent when they are not” (Hanh 132). Our awareness of this brings to light the importance of our friendships, valuables etc.

“Impermanence is more than an idea. It is a practice to help us touch reality” (Hanh 131). We learn to cope with things better once we grasp the reality of impermanence; this is mindful living. Impermanence makes you appreciate what you have, who you have, and where you are in life. When I become frustrated with my girlfriend or annoyed that my internet is slow, I need to step back and take a deep breath. I need to understand that this is only temporary and appreciate that I actually have a girlfriend and internet access, because that could all be gone in an instant. One of my favorite quotes in The Heart of Buddha’s Teaching is “The teaching of impermanence helps us appreciate fully what is there, without attachment or forgetfulness” (Hanh 133). This comforts me because understanding impermanence rules out these two major contributions to suffering.

When I was 11 years old I awoke in the middle of the night with a swollen eye. It was necessary to call the doctor and ask for advice, and sure enough a couple hours later I was in the ER with an IV in my arm. I was informed that it was an infection in my eye known as ocular cellulitis and it was most likely caused by a sinus infection. The swelling gradually lowered over a week or so. This kept me from playing in the indoor soccer championships, let alone all the school work I had to make up too. I was cleared to leave on my 12th birthday and during the last visit with the doctor, he announced that if I hadn’t woken up in the middle of the night I would’ve died later that day. I thought nothing could happen to me, but I took for granted my health. Turns out, not even my good health was permanent. I try to appreciate everything around me nowadays because according to the First Dharma Seal, everything is constantly changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment