Monday, December 2, 2013

What Are You Running From?




In life, we are constantly striving for more. To be better, faster, stronger, smarter, happier. In Buddhism one of the Three Doors of Liberation allows us to forget about the endeavors and focus on what is in front of us. The Third Door of Liberation, aimlessness, focuses on teaching eschatology. “Your purpose is to be yourself. You don’t have to run anywhere to become someone else.” (Nhá̂t, 152). This quote can help to more thoroughly understand the concept of aimlessness. Aimlessness teaches us to stop and realize the happiness that is already available instead of constantly running after something more.
            This liberation is important because it teaches us to realize we already have everything we need. As I progressed in school I was always ready to leave my small town. I was ready for college my freshman year of high school. I constantly worked hard to get good grades so I could get far, far away from my hometown which has a population of about 8500 people. After being in college I realized I wasn’t missing out on much. In fact, I missed my small town. I missed knowing everybody and being close to my family. “In aimlessness, we see that we do not lack anything, that we already are what we want to become.” (Nhá̂t, 153). Growing up, I thought I was missing out on so much because I grew up in a small town but I’ve come to realize it was exactly what I needed. Aimlessness has taught me, we do not have to search anywhere for happiness, that it is already available to us where we are.

             Aimlessness also teaches that we do not need a goal or purpose. This can relate to my life at this point in time as well as those of my peers because we are all working towards a specific academic goal. In my case, my goal is to become a pharmacist. I am constantly striving to get higher grades and develop my resume. Currently, I am not practicing Buddha’s teaching of aimlessness but now that I know about it, I can. Instead of trying to just reach those goals, I must instead enjoy the present moment because in it, I have everything I need to make that moment the happiest of my life. Instead of thinking, becoming a pharmacist will make me my happiest, if I appreciate what I have now, it will make the moments leading up to that moment even more worthwhile. “To have happiness in this moment is the spirit of aimlessness.” (Nhá̂t, 154). This quote can further explain that instead of trying to reach something to make ourselves happy we need to focus on what is available and ultimately we will achieve happiness right away. In my case instead of focusing on just becoming a pharmacist, if I enjoy each moment of the journey it will mean so much more and I will be happy throughout.
             The Third Door of Liberation, aimlessness, can help one appreciate the present moment whether than dwell on the past or worry about the future. It can help one focus on the moments, and the happiness that is already available. “Be yourself. Life is precious as it is. All the elements of your happiness are already there.” (Nhá̂t, 153). In aimlessness, Buddha’s teach to appreciate the availability of happiness instead of dwelling on goals, striving for unnecessary possessions, and waiting for happiness to come to us. Aimlessness is an important aspect of the Doors of Liberation because through practicing it we can just be happy. "The practice of apranihita, aimlessness, is the practice of freedom." (Nhá̂t, 155).



Nhá̂t, Hạnh. "The Three Doors of Liberation." The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching:
     Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy & Liberation : The Four Noble Truths, the Noble
    Eightfold Path, and Other Basic Buddhist Teachings. New York: Broadway, 1999. 146- 55. Print.


No comments:

Post a Comment