Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Just Stop !

                    Sometimes life can place us on a path of suffering. You have a huge exam tomorrow and you haven’t studied or you just found out your best friend is moving, all things that make our life less enjoyable. There is a way to stop and let it all go. Meditation is a way in which we can let go of these events that cause us suffering and enjoy our life.

                Meditation has two major part first is stopping and calming. Stopping, the art of stopping as stated In “The Heart of Buddha’s Teaching” page 24 is “stopping out thinking, our habit energies, our forgetfulness, and the strong emotions that rule us.” If we live our lives without stopping every once in a while everything becomes a habit. We do not recognize we are doing them. Things come and go our emotions change but we are never really living. Calming sometimes our emotions can take over our bodies and leave us to live a roller coaster ride. If we recognize why we aren't calm it will allow us to then accept the reasons and then to embrace them, which then leads to looking deeply. If we are at a state of calmness you can then look deeply to understand what has brought you this suffering and change it. Until you figure out what has brought you this discomfort you cannot change it.
                In my life I can think of many different times I should have done this. First, I have a huge final on Thursday. This final has been causing me stress for weeks. By recognizing this stress and where it is coming from, I can then start preparing for this exam and maybe decrease my amount or stress just a little. While looking deeply I see there is no way I can get rid of the test I just have to make sure that I am prepared fully and that I did everything I could. Second, my dog has recently become ill. She is old and may not make it through the winter. This is causing me deep pain because I have had this dog in my life since I was little. But if I take a second to think about it and realize that she is suffering too and maybe the best thing is for her to pass so she is not in pain then I can accept it because I don’t want her to be in pain.

            
    Sometimes our lives can over take what we really want to think and not let us live our life fully. If we allow the world around us to shelter us form living than that is a problem. So take a second out of your day and just stop. Stop everything and open your eyes to what is really going on. Life may be more enjoyable for you if you do so. Enjoy every moment and everyone in it. So that when you life is up you can say you live without regrets.



Citation:
  Nhá̂t, Hạnh. The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy &         Liberation.

No comments:

Post a Comment