Monday, December 9, 2013

The Four Nutriments: Bliss or Despair


There are four nutriments in the Buddha’s Teachings which can either lead to happiness or tremendous suffering. These nutriments include edible food, sense impressions, intention and consciousness. It is very important that each and every one of us feeds both our mind and body with the positive aspects of the nutriments and not fall into despair and gloominess that the four nutriments can bring.



The first of the four nutriments is edible food. It is very important that one feeds and nourishes their body with the appropriate food and drink because if they don’t, physical
suffering and mental suffering will occur. Each and every individual “must be able to distinguish between what is healthful and what is harmful” (Thich Nhat Nanh 31).  In my own life I have to make decisions on what foods I will eat. If I only eat foods high in cholesterol and fat, I have a high probability of suffering from heart disease later in life. For this reason, I try to take everything in moderation and have a well-balanced diet. Thich Nhat Nanh  states that “much of our suffering comes from not eating mindfully” (32). Since I do not want to experience suffering, I always acknowledge what I eat and at a result, I feel healthy in present and I do not have to worry about consequences later in life.


The second of the nutriments is sense impressions. We all sense with our eyes, ears, nose, tongue, mind and body and the information that we receive greatly affects our consciousness. Every day, we are all exposed to fear, hatred and violence which are “toxic and rob our body and consciousness of their well-being” and as a result, we feel “despair, fear, or depression” (33). I try to avoid these toxins as much as possible but it is impossible to never encounter them. For example, when I read the news I hope to encounter stories with a positive ending. However, there are always reports of American soldiers being killed overseas or reports of some other tragic death and these make me feel gloomy, mad and sometimes depressed. However, to avoid some of this suffering, I practice mindfulness which allows me to think about what I am sensing. If I sense something that makes me feel depressed, I will understand that I should try to avoid this experience again although this is hard to accomplish. Furthermore, if I do come in contact with toxins, I will be able to refuse to acknowledge the negative and will focus on the positive sensations. This doesn’t mean to pretend that terrible events do not occur but to look at the terrible events in a way that justifies why they occurred. For example, the soldier that killed gave his/her life did so in hopes that their sacrifice would make the world a better place for others. We should live our lives knowing that we are here because of those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

The third nutriment is volition, will or intention which according to Thich Nhat Nanh is the “desire in us to obtain whatever it is that we want” (34). Most everyone strives to reach a high level of happiness which may lead to suffering. In my own life, I avoid wanting anything extra and am happy with my life as it is. I am grateful for my health, my family, and for where I live. If I do find myself desiring more than what is needed I think about the Four Noble Truths. With the Four Nobel Truths, any willing individual has the ability to discover the origin of their suffering and use that knowledge to find “peace, joy, and liberation” (Thich Nhat Hanh 45). An example in my life would be me getting upset because I was outbid on an item on eBay. After the fact though I realize that the cause for my emotions was silly and that I shouldn’t worry about pointless items that I want to acquire. My family, friends and health are far more important.

The fourth and final nutriment is consciousness. Our consciousness is continuously growing with our “thoughts, words and actions” we take (36). It is important that we try and maintain only the positive thoughts, words and actions because our consciousness is susceptible to negative feelings such as greed, ignorance and pride. I connect well with consciousness and understand the potential dangers and sufferings it can bring. I see advertisements that promote greed and pride which but I know having more is not the answer. To help me avoid the negative, I rely on the Four Immeasurable Minds of love, compassion, joy and equanimity. I have learned that if I can practice the Four Immeasurable Minds, I can “heal the illnesses of anger, sorrow, insecurity, sadness, hatred, loneliness, and unhealthy attachments” (170). The greatness of the Four Immeasurable Minds reveals itself when one realizes that their effects grow stronger the more one practices love, compassion, joy and equanimity. Thich Nhat Hanh states that if we practice that Four Immeasurable Minds, we “will be happier, and everyone around [us] will become happier, also” (169). I strongly agree with this statement because love, compassion, joy and equanimity are contagious. When I am in a great mood and feel love and compassion, others around me feel the same way and if they don’t, in time they will. The Four Immeasurable Minds have the power to overcome any negative emotion that can pollute our consciousness.
Photo Credit:
http://cdn.theharmonycompany.com/images/healthy-food.jpg

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhLapa9-PIErfQh5WbDFvKb0WBf9ly_SurIKEKIpffVSJ7mtUIhVvBlM94h7_NXSf9D341sTYw9F-95XgHXk5zEK4U58hblDsG563PVpVofOOAtnjTtvUBGHkX5W7y3NexsbYvpSqtdfmnZ/s320/Four-Noble-Truths.jpg

 
http://www.luminousmind.net/images/4-Immeasurables.png
 

No comments:

Post a Comment