Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Happiness or Suffering: Which Kinds of Nutriments to Allow in Your Life

          In Thich Naht Hanh’s Heart of Buddha’s Suffering, the four kinds of nutriments that can lead to happiness or suffering are discussed.  The nutriments include edible food, sense impressions, intention, and consciousness.  Buddha explained, “When we look deeply, we will discover the kinds of nutriments that have helped [something] come to be and that continue to feed it” (Hanh  31).  Discovering these nutriments is the key to achieving and continuing happiness instead of suffering.  The ability to feed the right nutriments is the ability to accomplish a happy life.
          Edible food is the first of the four nutriments.  The main idea behind achieving happiness with regards to this nutriment is to understand what is healthful versus what is harmful.  Making healthful decisions about what we consume not only affects our own bodies, but many others lives as well.  For example, if we treat our bodies poorly, these negative effects can harm our children.  Some of our choices affect an even wider range of people, hurting the environment or a number of animals.  Reading about this nutriment made me realize how little thought I put into what I eat and where it comes from.  Occasionally while eating something like a burger, I’ll get sad if I think too much about where it came from, but it never seems to stop me.  This past summer, I did, however, choose to eat more healthily.  I bought a lot of organic products and cut out the junk.  Feeling more active and healthier showed me that this was a right nutriment and to continue to feed it, but I can still do a lot more to think about the environment and others each time I eat.  I have been able to master eating right for my own mind and body but I still need to “look deeply to see how we grow our food, so [I] can eat in ways that preserve the collective well-being, minimize the suffering of other species, and allow the earth to continue to be a source of life for all of us” (32).
               
Some of the many sources that provide sense impressions.
          The second nutriment is sense impressions.  We use our eyes, ears, nose, tongue, body, and mind to interpret everything around us in our everyday lives.  Buddha emphasizes that we must use mindfulness to understand these sense impressions and limit the negative ones.  “If we are mindful, we will know whether we are ‘ingesting’ the toxins of fear, hatred, and violence, or eating foods that encourage understanding, compassion, and the determination to help others” explains Hanh (33).  Media plays a huge role in sense impressions for us today, whether it may be the television or a billboard ad.  While reading about sense impressions, I thought about videos and articles that commonly pop up in my Facebook feed.  Many are negative, such as the ads that instill a desire for possessions, while others encourage positivity, such as stories of children reaching out to classmates who have been bullied.  With so much unavoidable media around us, it is impossible to completely ignore it without becoming a recluse.  Utilizing mindfulness to know what is helpful and what is harmful, though, is the key to being able to positively use this nutriment.  For me, another escape from the toxins of our world is escaping into nature.  Being immersed fully in nature leaves only natural sense impressions which can always benefit the body and mind.   
          Intention or volition is the third kind of nutriment that can either lead to happiness or suffering.  Volition is the desire within each of us to acquire what it is that we want.  It is constantly in our minds and determines our actions.  A common goal for many people around the world is to be happy.  For different people, though, this means different things; happiness could mean wealth, power, love, or freedom.  Buddha teaches that many of these desires are in actuality obstacles to happiness.  Hanh says, “We need to cultivate the wish to be free of these things so we can enjoy the wonders of life that are always available – the blue sky, the trees, our beautiful children” (35).  I do have goals in my life, but none of them are specifically based on a material possession or past experiences.  I do, however, sometimes find myself focusing too much on short term goals and struggling to get through the day.  Instead I need to enjoy life as it is while I live it and appreciate the things that are always available.  “The Buddha advised us to look deeply into the nature of our volition to see whether it is pushing us in the direction of liberation, peace, and compassion, or in the direction of suffering and unhappiness” explained Hanh (36).  As a student, my eventual goal is to become a physician’s assistant, in order to support myself and to help others.  I believe the Buddha would understand this goal and appreciate the compassionate side of it.  By meditating and connecting more with people and nature around me, though, I think I could do better with my short term goal issue. 

               
          Consciousness is the final of the four kinds of nutriments.  This extends to all experiences past and present and even the thoughts of the future.  “Every day our thoughts, words, and actions flow into the sea of our consciousness and create our body, mind, and world,” Hanh stated (36).  Our consciousness is constantly working and building our life with each experience.  Looking back on how we live our lives can help to identify the causes of our suffering.  Picking out which thoughts, conversations, and actions cause the most suffering can lead us to eliminate them and live a better life.  Of the four nutriments, I think consciousness is the one I should focus on the most to improve my life.  I need to first off eliminate a lot of the negative ideas that pass through my mind and sometimes, think more before I speak and act.  For example, sometimes I get in stupid, avoidable arguments with my mother that I should learn from and avoid in the future.  All the arguments do is cause suffering for both of us and I realize that.  I should use this information to avoid any more suffering in the future.   
               Hanh, Thich Nhat. The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching. New York: Broadway, 1999. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment