Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Buddhism: The Road to Improvement




Buddhism Taught Me the Necessity of Improvement

“Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I am committed to cultivating good health, both physical and mental, for myself, my family and for my society by practicing mindful eating, drinking and consuming” (Hanh 96).
 


My life contains negatives, like everyone else’s, and the highlight reel would contain: being lazy, eating unhealthily and partying. This can be seen as the life of a normal college student but still unacceptable by Buddhism standards. I never paid too much attention to eating healthily when I was growing up because I played baseball almost every day and led an active life. Once I went to college, my school work increased heavily and my free time shrank drastically. The food became much unhealthier since I ate when I could and only junk food is always available. Then I versed myself in Buddha’s teaching, specifically Right Action, and it became clear. “If we are mindful, we will know whether we are “ingesting” the toxins of fear, hatred, and violence, or eating foods that encourage understanding, compassion, and the determination to help others” (Hanh 33). This quote applies more to the impressions we expose ourselves to but it was perfect for me. It made me realize that I was not being mindful at all with the foods I was eating and the excuses I made for doing so. There is always time for exercise but it requires more work to achieve.
   For my attempt at following Right Action, I chose to practice over Spring Break since I had a week off from school and no distractions. It started every morning when I woke up early to jog around my neighborhood which I used to do every day in high school. The first day jogging was the real reason I became motivated to follow Right Action. Within a few laps, I was exhausted and ashamed at how out of shape I really was. Clearly, my diet was the attachment I needed to lose in order to end my suffering. I found out that it is extremely easy to eat better foods if one just applies themselves. By the end of the week, I was able to jog as long as I wanted too, which turned out to be when my dog became tired. I am in no way saying that within one week, I was able to accomplish Right Action, all I am saying is that the value of this path has become clear. “Much of our suffering comes from not eating mindfully. We have to learn ways to eat that preserve the health and well-being of our body and our spirit” (Hanh 32). I experience more energy and a better work ethic, all from simply eating better.
            This has not improved my life indefinitely, there are still many more ways I can improve but Buddha’s teaching is an excellent guide to improvement. These teachings are not a “How-To” guide but more of a challenge to better oneself. Take the challenge, it’s worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment