Sunday, April 21, 2013

My Troubling Right Way



          The right ways of the Buddhist eight-fold path include right view, right thinking, right mindfulness, right speech, right action, right diligence, right concentration and right livelihood.  Of those eight ways, I found that I have the most trouble with 'right concentration' in my life.  As the "Heart of Buddha's Teaching" states, "The practice of Right Concentration (samyak samadhi) is to cultivate a mind that is one pointed."(page 105)  There are two types of concentration.  This includes active concentration and selective concentration.  During active concentration, "...the mind dwells on whatever is happening in the present moment even as it changes."(page 105)  Selective concentration is the act of choosing one object and holding on to it.

          I have to admit I struggle with concentration in my daily life. With the plethora of things on my mind and lists of things to do I feel like I cannot focus on just one thing.  Even during my pharmacy classes when I am trying to focus on the lecture going on I find that my laptop is distracting and pulls my attention away from my professors. Also, every time I study I find that I struggle with concentration.
          Mastering the right way of concentration would greatly improve my life as well as my grades.  As the book states, "We don't use concentration to run away from out suffering.  We concentrate to make ourselves deeply present." (page 106)  To live in accordance to this right way would lead to happiness and allow me to have a greater quality of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment