Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Buddhism Taught Me How to Focus on the Present to Impact My Future


“We don’t use concentration to run away from our suffering. We concentrate to make ourselves deeply present. When we walk, stand, or sit in concentration, people can see our stability and stillness. Living each moment deeply, sustained concentration comes naturally, and that, in turn, gives rise to insight.” (pg. 106 Hanh).

 
Like many students I am constantly thinking about my future, how I can have a better future, what I want to do in my future, but when we do this we lose sight of what is going on around us. By shifting our focus to the future instead of concentrating on the present we are not being mindful or fully aware. According to the text:
To practice Samadhi is to live deeply in each moment that is given to us to live. Samadhi means concentration. In order to be concentrated, we should be mindful, fully present and aware of what is going on. (pg. 107 Hanh).
In that passage it is saying that when we are deeply concentrated then we are absorbed into the moment, in other words to live in the present, live each moment, be aware. This is much more difficult than it sounds, it is nearly impossible for people to concentrate on the present without thinking about what affect it might have on the future. I know because I do this all the time, I try to focus on the present and things I need to be aware of, but instead I always find myself starting to think about my future or dwelling on my past thinking… what if?
 As a person who concentrates on the “what ifs” rather than focusing on the now I have realized that I have caused myself unnecessary suffering and if I concentrate on the present I will be more insightful to my future.
The goal of Buddhism and the Right Concentration is to transform this insight from an abstract philosophical idea into a lived reality that becomes the basis for everyday life. One way of turning this into practice is through meditation and mantras, through mediation we are forcing ourselves to stay concentrated in the present and to be fully aware. By focusing on the now I can more self-aware and no longer live in regret for missing opportunities while being too involved/worried about my future. If I focus on my present I will be able to achieve my goals better affecting my future which in turn will bring me happiness and to live without regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment