Monday, April 15, 2013

Skateboarding was my Sacred Getaway

Throughout my teenage years, skateboarding was a huge part of my life. With so much going on in my life, it was my sacred getaway that relieved me from all the stress. My friends and I would skateboard everywhere. We would go into the city and skate street spots but the police didn't appreciate it as much as we did. I've dealt with the police on many occasions for skateboarding in areas where they didn't think I belonged. These sacred places all over the city have been taken away from me so my friends and I had no where to go. However, this is one spot that we did have left and we enjoyed it so dearly. I used to live on a farm with a lot of land and there was a strip on cement behind one of the barns where we would gather and skateboard. It was so sacred to me because it felt like it was the only place where I belonged. I was able to share this sacred place with my friends who I considered my family.

Chad

No comments:

Post a Comment