Monday, April 22, 2013

"Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.”


The chances of us meeting were slim to none
You are more likely to be killed by a teapot in your own home
By accident in a world with billions of people, our sparks set afire
What are the chances that you would love green eyes and had wit I would admire
We both played on mystery until we gave up all our secrets
Baring ourselves to one another, sharing our regrets
We got closer and closer in mind and in heart
But the long distance would keep us apart
You come to visit whenever you can
A long distance relationship with a Norwegian man
It’s difficult at times but it works fine for now
And you plan to move here if the fates allow
You've changed my life in more ways than one
You are my moon, my stars, and my sun
You are my sacred place that I kept secret for so long
I think of you when I hear the robins sing their song
This is a piece of our story, a piece of you and I
And while we are apart, we can look up at the same sky
We can watch the same moon, just at different times
You will find your way here soon, just follow the signs
I can say that I am eternally grateful for this chance
To be able to experience your heartfelt romance
So we’ll keep on and continue this tale, our love story will continue to prevail. 


This is a poem about meeting my boyfriend and our story together.  It is a long distance relationship, much like the one that the urban Indians have with their reservation and families. I kept him a secret for a while because I didn't want people to know. He was my escape; he was my sacred space that I didn't want to have tainted by judgment or ignorance like the Native Americans and their sacred land. “I liked the way his voice sounded like soft running water over smooth pebbles” (Moore 41). He was different than anyone else I had ever met.  I tried to incorporate some nature in my poem, how nature is the same for us even when we are apart. This is just one of many stories in my life, something that is important to me and my everyday life. This is something that could one  day be passed down to my children, so I think it is important to tell. It is a story with no ending, something that can be added too and continued. “I assemble with the hands of a poet who does not know the end of her poem, ink is an afterthought” (McGlennen 246)

Looking behind, I am filled with gratitude, 
looking forward, I am filled with vision,
looking upwards I am filled with strength, 
looking within, I discover peace 
~ Quero Apache Prayer 





No comments:

Post a Comment