Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Following in the Footsteps of my Family and Beyond


 



“I saw more than I can tell and I understand more than I saw” (Black Elk of the Lakota tribe)


My Grandparents on my father’s side along with both my parents are a major part of my life and my morals, ethics, ideals, and values come from them and their teachings. I feel that through my life, in its entirety, they have had the largest impact on me and have helped me to become the person that I am today. This quote above sums up everything that I have learned from these important people in my life. I have learned so much from them there are parts that I don’t remember but at the same time I have learned so much, even things that I have forgotten, and this is very important and what makes me unique and their destiny to pass on to other generations. I feel that this is an important idea that comes from the Indians and that I have noticed in my own life. 

Without the stories and lessons that these close family members have taught me throughout my life I know that I would be a totally different person. I hope to, one day, be able to pass everything that I have learned, the good and the bad, to my children. I hope in passing it to them that they will grow up with the same ideas that have been instilled into me and they will in turn also pass these stories on as well as my own stories so future generations can also learn from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment